Application Guidelines for T. B. Maston Scholarship in the Study of Christian Ethics
The T. B. Maston Scholarship is established to honor the life and service of Dr. T. B. Maston. Because of his life and work, Christian Ethics became a field of academic inquiry at every Baptist seminary. Dr. Maston helped to birth Baptist Christian Life Commissions, both on the national level and in several of the Baptist state conventions. He influenced thousands of Baptist students to consider the ethical as a concern of the church. He contributed to 27 books on ethics. His influence was key in making it unacceptable for congregations to ignore the needs of the poor, the disenfranchised, the hungry, and the hurting.
Dr. Maston’s favorite Scripture verse was 1 John 2:6 – “Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did.” (NIV) Until his death in 1988, T. B. Maston always challenged himself and others in the Baptist tradition to live out an authentically Christ-like life.
The Purpose of the Scholarship
The T. B. Maston Scholarship is established to encourage on-going leadership and scholarship in the field of Christian ethics, and to challenge others in the Baptist tradition to live out an authentic Christ-like ethic.
The recipient of the T. B. Maston Scholarship is to be someone who reflects the integrity, commitment, and passion of T. B. Maston in his or her scholarship and life. The candidate should be a doctoral student in a PhD, ThD, or DMin program, pursuing studies in any field (theology, history, Bible, etc.) whose research and dissertation/thesis focus on Christian Ethics.
The candidate should be rooted in Baptist congregational life, involved in “historic” Baptist traditions, and committed to research and study that will engage the larger Christian community and the world in living life ethically.
Description of the T. B. Maston Scholarship and Scholarship Procedure
The T. B. Maston Scholarship is a one-time grant presented to a graduate student or post-graduate student in the field of Christian Ethics. Applications are submitted to the Scholarship Committee of the T. B. Maston Foundation and must then be approved by the T. B. Maston Foundation Board of Directors.
- January 15, 2024 deadline for submittal of application
- Review of applications by Scholarship Committee
- Recommendation of nominee to Foundation Board of Directors prior to the annual meeting (normally held in February-March)
- Approval of nominee by Foundation Board of Directors at annual meeting
- Announcement of recipient of Maston Scholarship to media
- Forwarding of grant to the Financial Aid Office of the institution designated by the recipient, for use beginning in the fall semester of that year; grant is made, in the student’s name, to the institution
- The following application materials must be received by the January 15, 2024 deadline:
- Submittal of the T. B. Maston Scholarship Application Form. Click here to apply online, or you may click here for a printable copy.
- Submittal of all transcripts from candidate’s undergraduate and graduate work
- Submittal of a current CV/Resume
- Submittal of individual letters of recommendation from two of the three following categories:
- Primary professor from field of study, who can address the candidate’s academic potential and commitment to the study of ethics
- Pastor, minister, or chaplain who can attest to the candidate’s commitment to the Christian life and to “historic” Baptist traditions
- Friend or colleague who can speak to the candidate’s commitment to living life ethically
- Submittal of a 250-word dissertation/thesis abstract or anticipated topic
- Submittal of a 500-word essay that highlights how you see your study and work in Christian ethics contributing to the life of the church and the field.
The transcripts, CV/Resume, letters of recommendation, dissertation/thesis abstract, and the essay should be submitted via email to [email protected]. Application, as well as supporting materials, may be scanned and submitted to the same address.
Candidates using a printed Scholarship Application should complete the application and return it before January 15, 2024 to:
T. B. Maston Foundation Scholarship Committee
**c/o David Morgan, Executive Director,
520 Red Cloud Drive, Harker Heights, TX 76548**